The UK throws away a staggering 85 million disposable straws each year. And in April 2018 the UK government announced plans to ban sales of single-use plastic straws as part of the fight against plastic waste. Meaning there’s no better time to switch to reusable straws.
Eco-friendly reusable straws are the best alternative to plastic drinking straws. They make drinking fun, they’re great for kids, and they’re ideal for people with disabilities that mean they need to drink through a straw. Plus reusable straws are light and easy to carry with you, even on a night out, so there’s really no reason not to make the switch.
The final straw for many people was seeing a sea turtle have a drinking straw removed from its nostril or the disturbing statistic that we are well on way to there being more plastic than fish in the ocean by weight. Whatever your reason for saying no to a plastic straw it’s a great habit to get into and a really easy way to cut down on your plastic waste.
Many times you might be given a straw in a bar or restaurant without either wanting or needing it. And it might take a while to get into the habit of saying no straw thank you when you order a drink in a bar or restaurant. But sometimes it’s nice or even necessary to drink through a straw.
5 reasons to make the switch:
- Plastic straws are generally not recycled meaning they end up in landfills or our oceans.
- The plastic straws are made from takes hundreds of years to break down into tiny plastic micro-particles that can then end up in our water and food.
- Straws that end up in the ocean can be eaten by marine animals causing injury or death.
- Plastic straws often contain harmful chemicals which can leach into your drinks.
- Making the switch to washable straws will encourage others to do the same. And teaching children to choose eco-friendly products is a great habit that will last them a lifetime.
Why we love reusable eco-friendly washable straws:
- Most eco-friendly straws are dishwasher safe and easy to clean using a cleaning brush.
- All our eco-friendly straws are BPA free so better for you and the environment.
- Washable straws last a long time, making them a far better alternative than disposable paper straws.
- Stainless Steel, glass and silicone straws are all recyclable and bamboo straws will fully biodegrade in your compost bin.
- And washable straws are light and easy to carry with you so you can still enjoy a drink with a straw when you are out and about.
Choosing the perfect brand of eco-friendly straws – Washable, eco-friendly and great for everyday use.
- Are Reusable Straws Better for the Environment?
- How to Clean Reusable Straws?
- Why You Should Be Using Reusable Straws
- Are Reusable Straws Safe?
- What Kind of Reusable Straw Is Best?
We stock a great range of reusable stainless steel metal drinking straws which offer an easy, affordable and durable solution to the problem of single-use plastic straws. They are perfect to use with water, juices or other cold drinks, easy to clean, and virtually indestructible.
You can buy a single straw and brush set or multiple straws set for all the family to use. The Klean Kanteen Straws even come with colourful silicone tips making them super child-friendly and safer for little teeth and mouths and great for helping people keep track of their drinks at a party.
U Konserve even makes mini straws which are perfect for smaller kids cups or enjoying a gin and tonic from your U Konserve tumblers.
Klean Kanteen also does a straw and lid set which fits both their insulated 16oz and 20oz tumblers and pints. This is the perfect product for a festival or camping trip, a picnic or a day at the beach. It makes the drink much more spill resistant so all is not lost if a cup gets knocked over, and will protect your drink from leaves, dust or sand. Plus if you use them with the insulated cups your drink will stay cold for literally hours.
The cleaning brush is made from stainless steel and eco-friendly plant-based fibres and makes looking after the straw a breeze whether you’re at home or out on adventures.
Bear in mind that stainless steel will conduct heat so if you want to use your straws with hot drinks you will need to choose the ones with silicone tips or staws made from another material. And be careful your drink isn’t too hot.
Bamboo straws are about as eco-friendly as it gets. Our handmade bamboo straws are each made from a single piece of air-dried bamboo. They have a fabulously tropical feel and can be used again and again.
We recommend getting a cleaning brush to make sure there’s nothing left stuck to the inside after you’ve used them and drying them in the sunlight.
And as they are made of bamboo they are fully biodegradable meaning you can chuck them in the compost when they’ve reached the end of their life.
These straws are perfect for summer parties and BBQ’s and at 8 inches (or 20cm) long they are the perfect length for a sipping a summer cocktail in style.
They also come with a handy cotton pouch which is great for storage or for popping a couple in your bag when you go out. That way you can say no to plastic and still enjoy sipping your drinks through a straw. Great if you have children who are still perfecting the art of drinking from a cup without spilling or to protect your teeth from ice, sugar and fruit acids.
Like their stainless steel counterparts, silicone straws are dishwasher safe, BPA and toxin free, and a great environmentally friendly alternative to plastic straws. They are easy to clean and can be used for years which means they’ll potentially save hundreds if not thousands of plastic straws from going to landfill.
Unlike stainless steel straws, silicone straws are also soft and bendy making them great for children. You can even cut them down to size if you generally use your straws for shorter drinks or in children’s tumblers.
Made from hard wearing shatterproof glass, the same stuff that’s used in laboratories all over the world, glass straws are a stylish and practical alternative to plastic disposable straws.
Like silicone, glass straws can be used for sipping either hot or cold drinks, and cleaning is easy either with a straw brush or by popping them in the dishwasher.